Friday, December 08, 2006

Letter to Jetstar Customer Complaints




This is the letter we had to write and send via snail-mail to Jetstar because, although they have a number for their Customer Complaints Department, they refused to provide me with it.

The second time I called, their Harry, their Team Leader I'd been speaking to previously, refused to speak to me, with the guy I spoke to saying he "didn't want to spea... err... is on another call".

He and Jetstar refused to facilitate getting our complaint dealt with in time to actually affect our flight changes.

The set up is that they can make changes at will, and you can't have your complaint dealt with before the changed flight actually occurs.

Anyway, here's the text of our letter to Jetstar:


Jetstar Customer Relationships
GPO Box 4713
Melbourne
Victoria 3001

December 21, 2006
Re: Booking Confirmation Number T2H5LD
Dear Sir or Madam:
On June 28, 2006, myself, Mark Hollands, and Caleb Strong booked return tickets to Adelaide, flying out on November 30 and returning on December 3. We were to depart Avalon at 17:50 and Adelaide airport at 19:20.
Then, on November 7, 2006, we were notified that Jetstar had rescheduled. Our flight times were changed to 21:40 departing Avalon and 15:30 departing Adelaide.
This change is unacceptable to us. We have made plans, bookings, purchased tickets, taken leave from our jobs.
I have since spoken at length with your reservations department and have been informed that if the changes to our flights were 6 hours or more we could be put onto a Qantas flight. And yet the effect of the change is more than 6 hours: both our flights have been changed.
We also discussed the terms of the ticket-agreement with Jetstar, which cite unforeseen reasons such as technical disruptions and bad weather for change of flight times. Not operational reasons.
I also add that I have found the customer service I have received from Jetstar entirely unsatisfactory so far. At your reservations department I was only able to speak to a ‘team leader’ (whose name will be on our booking file, or I can provide to you via telephone). He would not give me a number to call you, the complaints department, on.
My complaint is clearly urgent, and I regard the hurdles placed in front of me to report it to you as a lack of interesting in solving my complaint or supplying good customer service. Indeed, I asked this team leader if my experiences with Jetstar amounted to good customer service, and he replied “that’s irrelevant.”
I have spoken with Consumer Affairs Victoria and will be filing a complaint with them and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
We will also mount a media campaign to spread the word that Jetstar treat their customers in this manner. I know that we are not the only customers in this situation.
I have also discovered that Jetstar are running an Ashes-linked promotion (see the ‘Sports Mad Seat Sale’ at http://www.jetstar.com/pdf/news/20061122.pdf). Part of our inconvenience includes us missing out on watching some of the Ashes. We will write to the Murdoch and Fairfax Press, call the major talkback stations, speak to the current affairs shows, and explain our story in the context of this promotion.
Therefore I write to you requesting that our flight-times are changed back to what they were originally, and that we are put on Qantas flights to make that happen.
We expect a response, by phone, on Monday November 27.

No comments: